Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

This weekend I went to see the Da Vinci Code with some friends. Having never read the book (but hearing plenty about it) I had no idea what to expect. I'm not going to review it or offer my extensive Christian opinion of the content. But I will offer a few of my insights, ideas, what-have-yous about the film:

1. Do not watch it in an Asian movie theater. Yes, it was in English, but was with Asian subtitles and some of the movie was in French and was not translated into English. For part of the movie I was lost due to this small fact...
2. It is a high adrenaline movie and actually hooks you for the first half. However, when all the "Mary" stuff comes out it is shocking. I believe the thought that went through my head was, "And it was going so well!"
3. Someone would have to know next to nothing to even start to buy into all the "claims" made by this movie.
4. Tom Hanks is a brilliant actor. Ian McKellan also put on a good show.
5. It's compelling how many historical facts get mixed with fiction. In fact, it's hard to distinguish at points (besides the obvious) and really makes me want to learn more about the Knights Templar and all that jazz.
6. There were parts of the movie where I wanted to jump and yell, "heresy" or "that's blasphemous!"

Overall, it was a good movie. The content was hard to swallow and was really upsetting at points, but anything with conspiracy always makes for a good plot line. I think it's comparable (at some level) to National Treasure: some fact, mostly fiction and a lot of conspiracy and secrets. Walking away I was trying to decipher the message of the movie (all those foreign film classes wearing off) and I came up with, "religion is important because it gives hope to people." Not Jesus, or belief in God gives hope...just religion. Any religion is fine as long as it gives hope. Hmmm...
I just downloaded Josh McDowell's podcast on his rebuttal of sorts to the Da Vinci Code. I'm excited to listen to it. I'm also glad that I finally saw the story first hand and now can base my opinion on what I have seen and not on what I have just heard from others.

No comments: