Monday, February 27, 2006

The Love Bug


Lately I've been involved in numerous relationship talks. None about me, mind you...We're just not there yet. Anyways, a number of friends have been having "drama" of sorts in the relationship department. It's interesting, before Thailand I wasn't thinking about much in that area. In fact, Thailand was the first time I really talked about relationships, past included, in a long time. Since then there has only been more to digest as so many people apparently had their "Stint goggles" on. Interesting... It's funny how when you start asking questions people talk. But until that initial question into their love life is posed, they are silent. Then, it explodes and within an hour you've learned more about them and their year/month/week/whatever of relationship drama than you ever thought possible. Maybe that's how we work. We have all these ideas, feelings and hopes about relationships but because the Christian dating world can be confusing and messed up at times, we never talk about them openly. Then, when it comes up in conversation and we're in a setting that's safe, we have so much on our minds it all comes out. All cards are on the table. You are so grateful for someone to listen that you tell all. I was surprised by brutal honesty at times, but then I appreciated it. There are not many times when I'm in a conversation that is completely honest. So even though I've talked about relationships and thought about relationships more in the past four weeks than I have all year, it's not all that bad. Kind of weird, a little High Schoolish at times, but really not all that bad. In fact, it's refreshing to have an honest conversation about a topic so seldom touched on lately. All this talk of relationships (and it being so soon after Valentine's Day) reminds me of a book I used to read my sisters when they were younger: Love Bugs by David A. Carter. From which I'll take my application point: "About one thing I have no doubt... The Love Bug will bite you if you don't watch out."

No comments: