Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Crash and Burn

I have a friend named Ruby. Which is a bit ironic because that's one of my nicknames (maybe if you're lucky I'll tell the story). Anyways, I met her through some other friends and was told that she was very "open" to the Gospel. This I came to agreement on after only talking to her on the phone. She was very excited to talk about God and wanted to learn about how to forgive her friends and love others. I was very encouraged when she received Christ.
However, I failed to notice that first day how much she took over the conversation. She is also a very loud talker (which I did notice) and very direct. Since meeting her she has said things such as, "Why aren't you eating? Do you want to be skinny and sexy?" and "Don't bite your nails! You are baby! Babies bite their fingers." There are other things she has said, but I just can't think of them right now. Every time after I meet up with her I'm exhausted by the end of it. I actually dread our meetings on occasion (until I get there, then I remember how sweet she is and how much she wants to know about God).
Today Ruby came and played baseball with us. It was fun. Afterwards we were leaving to go and eat dinner. Ruby has a motorized scooter and I was riding my bike. We had played baseball with some other students and rode past them as we were going to eat dinner. There were about 15 students that we knew (most by name). Well, we ride past them and Ruby and I are talking and our bikes keep getting closer and closer. Then, all of a sudden, our handlebars hit each other. We go swerving off in opposite directions. Luckily, I catch myself after about 5 seconds of preparing myself to hit the curb. Ruby was not so lucky. She swerved and over corrected her scooter, which made her turn in a full circle too fast and her and her scooter went flying into the pavement. As if it wasn't embarrassing enough, all the other students from baseball saw our crash and ran up to help Ruby. She was so embarrassed. Of course this whole time I'm being sympathetic and laughing at our situation. I thought it was hilarious. And for the record, I would've laughed even if I had fell.
After picking up herself and her dignity, we rode off to dinner. On the way I asked her if she was embarrassed. She admitted that she was a little embarrassed about it, but reassured me she was fine. I couldn't stop laughing about it. Finally, she very directly asked me to stop laughing at her. I had to reassure her that I wasn't laughing at her, but at our situation. Anyways, I felt bad. Here is the girl that I have a hard time connecting with and I just knocked her off her scooter in front of all our friends. And she had just said, "You know, I really like you. You're nice."

No comments: