Thursday, April 06, 2006

Moldy Bread Awareness


Have you ever eaten moldy bread before and not realized it was moldy until after you had consumed the entire sandwich? Well, unfortunately I just made myself this wonderful peanut butter and jelly sandwich with bread from a bakery here in town. The sandwich tasted fine, I didn't really notice anything wrong with it. After I took the last bite Michelle, who watched me eat the sandwich, looked at the bag of bread and asked, "is that mold?" To my horror, I looked at the remaining loaf of bread and realized that the top piece was covered in mold. Um, dang. My mind is reeling. The first question I ask is, "was my bread moldy?" Well, I should be the only one who can answer that question. Now that I think about it, there was one bite I took that tasted really funky, but I didn't think anything of it. So, Michelle and I investigated the bag (which smelled horribly of mold) and tossed it out. I was still nervous about my mold consumption, but Michelle kept reassuring me that she had never known anyone to die of eating moldy bread. Not entirely confident of her answer, I googled "can you eat moldy bread?" and got this website. Here are a few things I learned:
"Mold can cause illness especially if the person is allergic to molds." Darn it. I am allergic to mold and mildew! This is not sounding good...
"Mold on grain products is the worst, e.g. moldy bread...." Strike number two.
"It depends on the bread mold some are harmless, some are indigestible and can make you throw up, some are poisonous and can make you very ill or kill you." Uh oh, I think this is it guys! I'm done for. The mold got me. It's all over.
So, I guess bread mold isn't what I would call "good for you." I could possibly die from this fiasco. Word to the wise, checking bread before eating it could save your life! That could be a slogan for a community awareness ad (like the smoking ads). I'm starting my own non-profit group based on mold awareness. It will save lives and put an end to moldy bread consumption. I have already thought of some others slogans that are a little catchier than the one previously mentioned. "Know about mold and you can grow old" or "Check your bread before your dead!" I think I'm on to something here. However I'd need a good name for my non-profit mold awareness group. If you have any suggestions you can submit them in the comments section of this blog. If you come up with a good one maybe I'll make you co-founder or something cool like that. I will get back to you shortly, if the mold doesn't kill me...

5 comments:

Matt Mikalatos said...

A little tip on living in EA:

Bread from the bakery in EA has no preservatives, so if you buy a loaf that you aren't going to eat relatively soon, put it in the freezer (it will thaw nicely overnight when you are ready for it). Also, as the humidity increases in your lovely town, you will find that moisture gets trapped in the bag, making the perfect mold-inducing environment. You can put the bread in the refrigerator to make it last longer.

Anonymous said...

"Be bold and help stop mold!" I'll join! I was crying from laughing so hard at this post! I love you!

Anne (can you help me figure this comment thing out? I don't know if I'm doing it right.)

Anonymous said...

Anne I am making you director of advertising because of your passion to be bold and help stop mold. I like it. I would make you co-founder, but you fail to comment correctly. (instead of marking your comments "anonymous" you can mark other and then just put in your name--you don't need a website to do it) Nonetheless, I love thee dear friend, I love thee.

And Matt, thanks for the advice. For some reason this loaf of bread did not make it into the refrigerator. I'll be more careful from now on. I'm really just glad I didn't die...

Anonymous said...

Anne gets to be director of advertising-what the crap-who is the advertising major here, i will come up with some ideas and once you see them you will soon bring be in on the campaign as well!

Ninja Mum said...

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best blogger I ever saw. Thanks for posting this entertaining article.

mold testing indianapolis