Monday, April 10, 2006

Stinky Tofu

Tonight I learned some startling information about a favorite food of some of my friends. This food is called stinky tofu and is justly named. I remember back in October we took a retreat with our students and the town we went to served this local snack on every corner. The smell was overpowering. I can't even describe it. Maybe it's a mix between dirty feet and rotting food. You think I'm kidding...even my Asian friends describe it this way. So, tonight, our friend was telling Michelle how to make stinky tofu.
Stinky tofu is made by first taking the tofu and smashing it with bare feet. This isn't a joke. She didn't mention anything about washing the feet first, but this would explain the horrible smell that comes from it afterwards. Then she explained that they take flies and let them lay eggs in it. At this point Michelle figured out that it was maggots. One of our other friends told Michelle that she doesn't eat it for this reason. She said, "I don't think it's very healthy to eat something that had those maggots in it." I think she may be right. After the maggots, the tofu goes through fermentation in rotting vegetables or something like that. Sometimes it ferments for three months! However, our friend reassured us that it was safe because it is fried. We're not sold on it. There were even parts of the process that she left out because she didn't want us to know. What can be worse than maggots? All in all, I know that our Nats love it and for that I will endure the smell as they enjoy their favorite food. However, I will not be partaking in this tradition of foot-stomped-maggot-infested-rotting veggies-fermented tofu. Can I get a Snickers bar please?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sick! Remind me to stay away from that!