Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Name Game

David and I are in the same language class. We have been all year and have made various friends from the time we've spent trying to learn the language. Three of these friends are girls who sit in the front row with us, they were also in our class last semester and seem to like David and I (like in the sense of being willing to tell us what page we're suppose to be on and/or give us the answer to the question the teacher is directing our way). One of the girls is from Korea, the other from Thailand and the last girl is Japanese. We only know the Japanese girl's name, Napoleo, because it sounds like Napoleon. However, all three of them know our names.
So, last week we were sitting in class and David happens to see the Korean girl pull a notebook out of her bag with the name "Sophia" on it. He points to the name and asks "who is this?" She looks at him, puzzled, and answers, "I am Sophia. That is my English name." To which David explains he has never heard her English name before. At that point, David decided to be nice and ask what her Korean and East Asian names were. She looked at him for awhile and then said one name (apparently, Korean sounds a lot like East Asian so they have the same name, they just change the characters). All of sudden all eyes are on David and she bluntly asks, "Don't you know my East Asian name?" Uh...uh oh. David averts his eyes and simply says he has forgotten it, but that he will remember her English name from now on.
Fifteen minutes later....
Sophia has now informed the Thai girl and Napoleo that David did not know her name. The Thai girl leans over in class and asks, "David, what is my name?" David gives me the "oh crap" look and then gives a nervous laugh in response. Under his breath he mutters something about "the s**t hitting the fan" and shrugs his shoulders at the girl. She then directs her attention to me and asks me the same thing. Embarrassed, I put my head on the desk and keep saying over and over "I don't know. I don't know. I'm sorry." As if on cue, all three of the girls erupt in laughter (distracting the class). Finally, the Japanese girl asks, "What is my name." To which David and I both respond, "Napoleo." Confused, she laughs nervously and then turns a little red. I'm not sure why she was embarrassed that we knew her name and not the others. However, the other girls looked a little upset that we could remember one name but not all three.
You would think that after this embarrassing episode we would know the Thai girl's name, however, I still don't know it. And I call them my friends...

No comments: